The tragedy of Grenfell continues, with survivors still mostly housed in hotels and other
forms of temporary accommodation five months after the fire.

Only 26 of 203 are currently living in permanent homes. In addition, the Conservative
government has admitted that more than half of former residents of the tower and nearby
Grenfell Walk are still living in emergency accommodation. Added to this, 47 are still in
temporary homes. Since August 24, Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (RBKC)
council has committed £76.6 million towards rehousing Grenfell survivors.

And only after a parliamentary question raised by Labour MP David Lammy, did the
numbers come to light. Conservative Housing Minister Alok Sharma said residents would
get new homes within a year of the fire. So former residents of the tower could be waiting
months more for a home.

A report by the Grenfell Recovery Taskforce, who were sent into the RBKC in July to
assist and monitor its plan of action heavily criticises the pace of the rehousing of
residents. Inside Housing writes that the report submitted to the Department for
Communities and Local Government (DCLG) said the rehousing process has been
“painfully slow”, with most households still in hotel accommodation.

The report states that many accounts found that survivors and the wider community
had been poorly treated. It identified four broad areas for RBKC to improve, according
to Inside Housing: “More pace in the delivery of the recovery process, greater empathy
and emotional intelligence from the council, extra training for staff on dealing with
trauma, and ‘much bolder’ solutions.”